• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Contact information ( * required )
• A male Hispanic, described in his late 40s or early 50s, wearing khaki pants, fleece sweatshirt and skullcap, was seen on a security videotape taking 81 packages of over-the-counter medications, placing them in a shopping basket and leaving Jewel, 1860 S. Arlington Heights Road, around 6:30 a.m. Oct. 11. Value was estimated at more than $1,800. Authorities believe he also stole medications from other stores in Arlington Heights, Rolling Meadows, and Palatine.
• Kurt M. Smentek, 45, of the 800 block of Valley Stream Drive, Wheeling, was arrested around 7 p.m. Oct. 11 at Kohl's, 800 W. Dundee Road, and charged with felony retail theft after he reportedly removed tags and took a men's winter jacket valued at $200. The felony charge was approved because he has a criminal history for retail theft, reports said. His court date is Oct. 18.
• Michelle S. Massarsky, 60, of the 2000 block of North Rand Road, Palatine, was arrested around 8:45 p.m. Oct. 11 at Kohl's, 800 W. Dundee Road, and charged with retail theft after she reportedly took six underwear items and hid them in her purse. Value was estimated at $235. Her court date is Oct. 30.
• Steven T. Dean, 43, of the 100 block of Dee Road, Park Ridge, was arrested around 4:30 p.m. Oct. 14 at the Metra depot, 45 W. Northwest Hwy., and charged with criminal trespass/consumption of intoxicating liquor on railroad property after an officer found him drinking a can of beer.
• A male bike rider traveling on the sidewalk northbound on Arlington Heights Road around 7:35 p.m. Oct. 13 found his way blocked by a 2003 Honda CR-V in the crosswalk on Suffield Road. The driver was waiting to turn onto Arlington Heights Road. The bike rider, apparently angry that the car there, swung his backpack and broke the rear passenger's-side window. The offender rode away.
• Vandals knocked over a 6-foot length of wooden fence in the backyard at a home on the 900 block of South Roosevelt Avenue between 5 p.m. Oct. 13 and 10:45 a.m. Oct. 14. Damage was estimated at $300. This is the second time in two weeks someone has damaged the fence.
• Burglars stole a stereo/CD player valued at $200 and a wallet out of a 1997 Honda Accord in an apartment lot on the 2100 block of South Tonne Road between 5 p.m. Oct. 13 and 8 a.m. Oct. 14.
• Burglars broke into a storage unit at Public Storage, 903 E. Algonquin Road, between Oct. 5 and 11 and stole a 55-inch flat screen TV valued at $1,300.
• Burglars entered a locked white 2004 Buick Rainier in a driveway in the 1600 block of North Highland Avenue overnight Oct. 6 and removed the following items: Costco prescription sunglasses ($200), older model radar detector ($100), HTC phone charger ($20) and a Garmin GPS ($300).
• Thieves stole a used charcoal gray 2009 Nissan Altima and key fob from a car dealer at 1100 West Dundee Road between Sept. 28 and Oct. 5. The vehicle was found by Chicago police in the 2600 block of West Rosemont Avenue missing the rear bumper and rear deck.
• An apparent burglar was about to enter the unsecured front door of a residence in the 200 block of North Yale Avenue at 9:55 a.m. Oct. 11. When confronted, the suspect stated she was there to clean the home but must be at the wrong location, walked to a silver Honda CR-V and left the area.
• Thieves removed a gold necklace from a jewelry box in the bedroom of a condo in the 1100 block of East Algonquin Road between 3 p.m. Oct. 9 and 7 a.m. Oct. 11. The necklace is valued at $2,000.
• An 87-year-old woman reported that a man about 50 years old exposed himself while walking a small tan dog on the north side of Heritage Park, 506 W. Victoria, at 11:15 a.m. Oct. 6.