LONDON -- The headstone at the grave of a British children's television host has been removed after police said Jimmy Savile may have sexually assaulted more than 20 girls over a 40-year period.
Funeral director Robert Morphit said this week that Savile's family had asked him to remove the stone to "protect the dignity and sanctity" of the cemetery in Scarborough in northeastern England. He said the stone was removed in three pieces and will be sent to a landfill.
Savile, who died last year aged 84, was one of Britain's best-known TV personalities.
The Metropolitan Police said Tuesday it had received eight criminal allegations against Savile, including two of rape and six of indecent assault, primarily against girls aged 13 to 16. The force believes there were up to 25 victims.