Farmers markets
Article posted: 10/11/2012 7:47 AM

First United Methodist of Elgin celebrates 175 years

Buy this photo Buy this photo
next prev 4 of 4
   

First United Methodist's second building constructed in 1866 was demolished in 1923 to make way for its current structure.

Courtesy of First United Methodist Church

This small church, built in the late 1830s on the same site as the current First United Methodist building, served as the congregation's first permanent home.

Courtesy of First United Methodist Church

The construction site of the current First United Methodist Church in 1924 shows the rear of the post office -- now Carleton Rogers Park -- and St. John's Lutheran Church with its tall steeple.

Courtesy of First United Methodist Church

Gallery Image

The two-steepled First United Methodist Church, which is seen in the top center of this 1884 photo, was the congregation's home from the 1860s until the 1920s. The "Old Main" of the Elgin Academy, now the Elgin History Museum, with its well-known cupola is seen in the upper left.

Courtesy of Elgin Area Historical Society

About this Article

First United Methodist Church of Elgin has been proudly celebrating its 175th anniversary this year and will host a special service at 3 p.m. Sunday. According to church records and early newspaper accounts, the church's roots can be traced to what is probably Elgin's first sermon, which was one preached by a Methodist minister in 1835.
prev next
    • First United Methodist’s second building constructed in 1866 was demolished in 1923 to make way for its current structure.
    •  This small church, built in the late 1830s on the same site as the current First United Methodist building, served as the congregation’s first permanent home.
    •  The construction site of the current First United Methodist Church in 1924 shows the rear of the post office — now Carleton Rogers Park — and St. John’s Lutheran Church with its tall steeple.
    •  The two-steepled First United Methodist Church, which is seen in the top center of this 1884 photo, was the congregation’s home from the 1860s until the 1920s. The “Old Main” of the Elgin Academy, now the Elgin History Museum, with its well-known cupola is seen in the upper left.
    Galleries by Category