Discarded coals from an outdoor fireplace and dry, windy weather contributed to a shed fire adjacent to a single-story house on the 200 block of Judy Lane in Streamwood Monday.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 12:20 p.m. and extinguished the fire before it could spread to the nearby house. However, the fire destroyed the shed and did some damage to the exterior of the house, including melted siding and broken windows.
The fire also burned an area of vegetation and damaged a large tree in the backyard. Damage was estimated at $10,000.