Daily Herald - Suburban Chicago's source for news This copy is for personal, non-commercial use. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution you can: 1) Use the "Reprint" button found on the top and bottom of every article, 2) Visit reprints.theygsgroup.com/dailyherald.asp for samples and additional information or 3) Order a reprint of this article now.
Article updated: 10/6/2012 12:53 AM

Neuqua stuns Waubonsie, wins in second OT

By Dave Oberhelman

Couldn't have asked for more from this War of 204.

Neuqua Valley beat Indian Prairie District 204 rival Waubonsie Valley 35-34 in double-overtime Friday, thrilling an overflow crowd at Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium in Naperville and giving the Wildcats an edge in the Upstate Eight Conference's Valley Division.

On third down from the 3-yard line in double overtime, Neuqua quarterback Dylan Andrew's hit Mike Dudek in the right flat for a touchdown. Ryan Mulhern's kick gave the Wildcats a 35-28 lead.

Waubonsie took over. Two carries by Austin Guido sent the Warriors to the 1-yard line, where quarterback Dylan Warden sneaked in to pull within a point. Coach Paul Murphy called his boys to the sideline to discuss, then sent them back for a 2-point conversion and the win.

Miscommunication ruined the same option play Guido had scored on in the first overtime. Warden, bumped from behind by a teammate, fell short.

"Somebody had to go for two," Murphy said. "We had the right play, we just didn't execute it."

"It was a big game," said Andrew, 13-of-24 passing for 124 yards and 2 touchdowns. "We started out a little slow, we started out a little sloppy. We were kind of beating ourselves up. But then we came along, we executed when it mattered. It just feels great to get a win against a team that is our rival."

Neuqua Valley (7-0, 4-0) never led until Dudek's game-winning catch. Waubonsie Valley (6-1, 3-1) looked to be in good shape when Troy Fumagalli caught his second touchdown pass from Warden with 3:20 left in regulation. Victor Carbajal's kick gave the Warriors a 21-14 lead.

Neuqua's Joey Rhattigan -- who ran for 131 yards and 2 touchdowns in regulation, 1 in overtime -- returned the ensuing kick 28 yards to the Warriors' 49, and coach Bill Ellinghaus' Wildcats made it to the 30. Waubonsie pressured, and on fourth-and-11 from the 31 Andrew found tight end Ryan Kuhl all alone in the end zone for a shocking touchdown with 1:36 left.

"The cornerback bit on one of our other receivers, the middle one (Dudek), and I went straight around it," Kuhl said. "It just means a huge win for us."

It also means, as Murphy said, Waubonsie will learn from its mistakes. The Warriors turned the ball over on Neuqua's 28-yard line, on the Wildcats' 10 and on the 50, squandering Guido's 250 yards rushing.

"This is tough losing to these guys in overtime," said Guido, a senior tailback. "Last year we went overtime with them and we beat them (27-21) and this year it was just tough to lose to them."

Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.