• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Burglars entered a two-story townhouse in the 1300 block of South Old Wilke Road the night of Sept. 4 through the rear sliding glass door and removed an Apple MacBook and a laptop, total value $3,500, from the first floor. The residents were upstairs sleeping at the time.
• Burglars entered a home in the 2000 block of North Fernandez between Aug. 19 and Sept. 2, probably while the owners were in the backyard doing landscaping work and the garage door was open. Jewelry missing from the dining room table included various rings valued at $5,100.
• Burglars shattered the driver-side window on a silver 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis in a driveway in the 2200 block of North Burke Drive in the early morning hours of Sept. 5 and removed a mobile phone and MP3 player, total value $460.
• Thieves stole a women's red and white bicycle locked to a rack in an apartment garage on the 0-100 block of South Vail Avenue between 1 p.m. Sept. 1 and 7:30 a.m. Sept. 4. Value was estimated at $160.
• Two more burglaries of unlocked garages were reported, continuing a recent rash of such thefts. Burglars stole six saws, two machine welders, generator, nail gun, and two mountain bikes out of an unlocked garage on the 1600 block of Wicke Avenue between 4 p.m. Sept. 1 and noon Sept. 2. Value was estimated at $7,200. Burglars stole a snowblower valued at $400 out of an open garage on the 2100 block of Estes Avenue Aug. 31 or Sept. 1.
• Burglars cut a fence at a construction storage yard at 1200 E. Golf Road between noon Sept. 3 and 6:15 a.m. Sept. 4 and stole a combo battery-operated kit and saw from a fencing company; three blowers, three whippers, three trimmers, concrete saw, gravel tamper, two chain saws, grinder, and drill from one landscape company; and two weed cutters, trimmer, chain saw, four leaf blowers, aerator, and two snowblowers from a second landscape company. Value was estimated at $16,905.
• A woman was robbed around 8:15 p.m. Sept. 1 as she got out of her car on the 300 block of Beau Drive. A man walked up behind her and ordered her to give him her bag, then took an envelope containing $950 from it. He left with two other subjects. She reported the robbery two days later.
• Benjamin E. Root, 27, of the 1900 block of Kennicott Court, Des Plaines, was arrested around 8:10 a.m. Aug. 30 on the 2400 block of South River Road and charged with city ordinances possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia and a traffic violation. His court date is Sept. 24.
• Alberto Castillo, 38, of the 2900 block of Curtis Street, Des Plaines, was arrested around 12:40 a.m. Sept. 1 at his home and charged with illegal possession of an alcoholic beverage and possession of a controlled substance (cocaine). The officer found an open can of beer in Castillo's car, reports said. A court date is Sept. 13.
• A man was seen on a security tape taking an Apple Remote Merchandising Unit around 8:40 a.m. Aug. 31 after an employee at Kmart, 1155 E. Oakton St., placed it on a shelf in order to help a customer. Value was estimated at $350.
• Thieves stole a boys' blue bicycle with black mag wheels out of the backyard at a home on the 1400 block of East Algonquin Road between 7 and 8 p.m. Sept. 1. Value was estimated at $200.
• Thieves stole a boys' white and purple BMX bike out of a side yard at a home on the 400 block of East Thacker Street between 2:30 and 5:30 p.m. Sept. 1. Value was estimated at $250.
• Thieves stole a purse valued at $310 out of a shopping cart in a store lot at 767 W. Golf Road around 5 p.m. Aug. 31 while the victim was loading groceries into her car.
• Burglars forced open the front door at a condominium on the 1400 block of East Thacker Street between 11:10 a.m. and 3:25 p.m. Aug. 31 and stole a laptop computer, iPad, designer bag, two diamond rings, a gold necklace, two gold baby rings, and a gold baby bracelet. Value was estimated at $6,500.
• Burglars stole a TV monitor/DVD player, 20 CDs, cellphone charger, and an air purifier out of an unlocked 2006 Chrysler Pacifica SUV in a lot on the 1600 block of East Oakwood Avenue between 10 p.m. Aug. 31 and 3 p.m. Sept. 1. Value was estimated at $290.
• Burglars broke into a 2008 Mazda SUV in a business lot at 567 W. Algonquin Road between 2:15 and 3:15 p.m. Sept. 2 and stole a purse valued at $260.
• Vandals dented one mailbox and broke the post, and knocked two other mailboxes off their posts on the 700 block of Kylemore Drive between 10:30 p.m. Aug. 31 and 6:20 a.m. Sept. 1. Damage was estimated at $250.
• Vandals punctured one tire on a 1997 Ford van on the 100 block of Dover Drive, two tires on a 1994 Chrysler Sebring on the 1500 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, and one tire on a 2012 Chevrolet Volt on the 1400 block of Oakwood Avenue between 9 p.m. Sept. 3 and 7 a.m. Sept. 4. Damage was estimated at $700.
• James Michael January, 23, of the 0-100 block of South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, was arrested around 12:10 p.m. Aug. 30 on the 1700 block of Robbie Lane and charged with theft of services after he reportedly left a taxicab without paying the $75 fare. The driver saw him enter a home and an officer found and arrested him. A court date is Sept. 25.
• A man hid two bottles of whiskey and two bottles of vodka under his jacket and left without paying at Dominick's, 1042 S. Elmhurst Road, around 12:45 p.m. Sept. 1. Value was estimated at $104.
• Vandals made several small cuts on the front and rear leather seats in an unlocked 2012 Acura RL in a driveway on the 1900 block of Wood Lane between 6 p.m. Sept. 1 and 10 a.m. Sept. 2. Damage was estimated at $1,000.
• Vandals sprayed gang graffiti on two bus shelters at 724 and 790 Piper Lane between Aug. 30 and Sept. 3. Damage was estimated at $200.
• Vandals spray painted gang graffiti on a Dumpster fence at an apartment complex on the 500 block of Love Drive on an unknown date but reported Aug. 30.
• Thieves cut a cable lock and stole a generator out of the open bed of a 2006 Dodge pickup truck in a condominium garage on the 400 block of Plum Creek Drive between Sept. 1 and 4. Value was estimated at $810.
• Thieves stole a garden hose and reel out of the front yard at a condominium on the 0-100 block of First Street between 11 p.m. Aug. 29 and 7 a.m. Aug. 30. Value was estimated at $60.
• Vandals scratched the hoods on a Honda Accord and Infiniti G37 at the same home on the 1600 block of Brittany Court between Aug. 28 and Sept. 2. Damage was estimated at $600.