LOS ANGELES -- Lindsay Lohan will not be prosecuted for a burglary at a home where she had been a houseguest, prosecutors determined Tuesday.
The decision came after Los Angeles police detectives presented a potential felony burglary case against the actress and two men who were reportedly at the Hollywood Hills home of a longtime acquaintance after several items went missing earlier this month.
Contact information ( * required )
Prosecutors cited lack of evidence to prove Lohan was involved in the thefts. The items taken were described as keys, cash, sunglasses and a credit card holder. The homeowner, who is an acquaintance of Lohan, later told authorities that he did not want to pursue a case over the items.
One of the men suspected of the thefts told police that he, Lohan and another man went into the home early on Aug. 18 and some items were taken, but he refused to say who stole them.
"We do not have sufficient evidence to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt," a prosecutor wrote in a memo rejecting charges.
"Lindsay is glad this matter has been cleared up so she can focus on her upcoming projects," her spokesman Steve Honig said in a statement after the prosecutor's decision.
Lohan remains on probation for a 2011 case in which she pleaded no contest to taking a $2,500 necklace without permission. After completing a strict counseling and morgue cleanup duty program implemented by a judge, Lohan was allowed to forgo frequent court updates as long as she stays out of trouble.
In recent months she has resumed acting, portraying Elizabeth Taylor in a Lifetime movie about the actress' love affair with Richard Burton.
She also recently filmed "The Canyons," a film by "Less Than Zero" author Bret Easton Ellis. That film has Lohan playing opposite James Deen, who is best known as an adult film star with thousands of movies to his credit.