There are two deaths linked to confirmed cases of Legionnaires' disease among guests at a downtown Chicago hotel.
The Chicago Department of Public Health on Monday announced the deaths and reported eight confirmed cases of the disease among people who stayed at the JW Marriott Chicago Hotel. That's up from the three confirmed cases the department announced last week.
The city and the hotel are notifying the 8,500 guests who stayed there from July 16 through Aug. 15. Authorities say they've identified the source of the bacteria and there's no ongoing health risk.
Symptoms include headache, high fever, chills, cough, chest pain and shortness of breath.
The bacteria that cause Legionnaires' disease grow in water and can spread through vapor in air-conditioning ducts or mist from a whirlpool spa.