• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• A burglar shattered the rear patio door of a home in the 1900 block of North Brighton Place about 11:50 a.m. Aug. 14, and filled a pillow case in the master bedroom with an unknown amount of cash and a few thousand dollars worth of jewelry. Prior to leaving the home, the resident had someone at her door that rang the doorbell and knocked several times, but she did not answer the door. The suspect was in his early 20s, 5-foot-6, medium build, brown hair, wearing a red polo shirt with a yellow emblem.
• Burglars broke into a storage shed in an apartment building on the 2200 block of South Goebbert Road between July 20 and Aug. 13 and stole a hammer drill, photo cutter and a plastic bin filled with other power and hand tools. Value was estimated at $2,000.
• Burglars stole a laptop computer valued at $800 out of an unlocked 2005 Pontiac Sunfire in an apartment lot on the 500 block of East Seegers Road between 5 and 5:45 p.m. Aug. 13.
• Vandals damaged a 40-inch TV, possibly while trying to steal it, in a common workout room at a condominium building on the 1100 block of South New Wilke Road between 5 p.m. Aug. 13 and 8 a.m. Aug. 14. Damage was estimated at $460.
• Aidas Gaigalas, 22, of the 500 block of Carlysle Drive, Clarendon Hills, and Donatas Rakauskas, 27, of the 6100 block of Knollway Drive, Willowbrook, were arrested around 5:55 a.m. Aug. 5 at Rivers Casino, 3000 S. River Road, and charged with felony aggravated battery after they reportedly attacked a 41-year-old man outside the casino. According to reports and videotape coverage, Gaigalas punched the victim in the face two times. More punches were exchanged. The victim tried to run away through the parking lot; Gaigalas caught him and began punching him again. He pulled the victim to the ground and kicked him in the face and stomped on his head, while Rakauskas stood laughing and clapping his hands. The confrontation began when Rakauskas grabbed leaves from vines on the wall and threw them into the victim's face as they passed each other on the sidewalk, reports said. The man demanded to know what that was about and the fight began. The victim was taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, where he received five stitches for a cut above his left eye and was released.
• Michael John Burke, 47, of the 100 block of Lancaster Lane, Des Plaines, was arrested around 11:30 p.m. Aug. 11 on the grounds of Friendship Junior High School, 550 Elizabeth Lane, and charged with city ordinance disturbing the peace and received a compliance ticket after a complaint that Burke was throwing things and yelling at patrons at the St. Zachary Augustfest. The police report said there was a strong odor of alcoholic beverage on his breath, and he struggled and was verbally abusive when officers tried to help him.
• Jarmin Abdishosaralan, 28, of the 1800 block of Pine Court, Des Plaines, was arrested around 6:15 p.m. Aug. 10 at Kmart, 1155 E. Oakton St., and charged with city ordinance petit theft after she reportedly took five colognes valued at $143. Her court date is Sept. 6.
• Michael F. Pedota, 32, of the 700 block of West Kathleen Drive, Des Plaines, was arrested around 8:45 p.m. Aug. 11 on the 2000 block of South Mount Prospect Road and charged with city ordinances possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. His court date is Sept. 7.
• Vandals set a 2005 Honda Civic on fire on the 1300 block of Highland Drive between 3 and 3:20 a.m. Aug. 8. The fire engulfed the Honda and melted the rear bumper on a 2005 Toyota Camry.
• Thieves stole a boys' unlocked white bicycle from a rack at the library, 1501 Ellinwood St., between 6 and 9 p.m. Aug. 9. Value was estimated at $150.
• Burglars stole a drill kit and set of drill bits out of an unlocked 2000 Dodge Dakota pickup truck and tools out of an unlocked garage at a home on the 1000 block of Woodlawn Avenue between 1 a.m. Aug. 12 and 6 a.m. Aug. 13. Value was estimated at $600.
• Thieves stole a men's gray mountain bike locked in a rack at Friendship Junior High School, 515 Elizabeth Lane, between 4:50 and 6 p.m. Aug. 12 while the owner attended St. Zach's fest. Value was estimated at $200.
• Burglars activated a fire extinguisher inside a school bus at Prairie Lakes Park, 515 E. Thacker, and stole the fire extinguisher between 4 p.m. Aug. 14 and 8:45 a.m. Aug. 15. Loss was estimated at $50.
• Thieves stole a cellphone valued at $300 out of a shoulder bag after the female victim left the bag on the pool deck at Mystic Waters Park, 2025 E. Miner St., between 5 and 5:45 p.m. Aug. 15.
• Thieves stole an iPad valued at $600 out of a guest's luggage at Hilton Northbrook Hotel, 2855 N. Milwaukee Ave., between 6:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Aug. 12. According to reports, the hotel took possession of the luggage while the female owner participated in the Susan B. Komen cancer walk. She was told the luggage would be loaded on the bus that would pick her up after the walk. She discovered the iPad missing on her ride back to Springfield, reports added.
• Burglars stole a laptop computer and two stereo speakers out of an unlocked apartment on the 500 block of Love Drive between Aug. 5 and 8 while restoration was under way after the apartment flooded. Value was estimated at $600.
• Burglars pried a condominium door on the 900 block of East Old Willow Road between 7:30 a.m. and 1:19 p.m. Aug. 14 and stole two laptop computers valued at $1,000 and a string of pearls.
• Burglars reached through an open window on a 1999 Toyota 4Runner in an apartment lot on the 600 block of Piper Lane around 2:30 p.m. Aug. 12 and stole a wallet out of a purse.
• Marlene Chavez, 39, of the 2000 block of Bayside Drive, Palatine, was arrested around 7:50 p.m. Aug. 11 at Cricket Wireless, 1242 E. Dundee Road, and charged with felony theft and felony filing a false police report after employee Chavez allegedly made up an armed robbery story to cover her theft of $1,245 from the store. A security videotape was used in the investigation.
• Carlos A. Lopez-Aguilar, 30, who lives in an apartment on the 1100 block of Woodbury Lane, Wheeling, was arrested around 2:05 a.m. Aug. 11 and charged with local ordinance possession of drug paraphernalia. His court date is Sept. 26.
• Monica J. Sieklucki 18, of the 0-100 block of Victoria Lane, Lincolnshire, and Samantha N. Servi, 18, of the 0-100 block of Cornell, Lincolnshire, were arrested around 2:15 p.m. Aug. 12 at Wal-Mart, 1455 Lake-Cook Road, and charged with local ordinance retail theft after they reportedly took school supplies valued at $66. Their court date is Sept. 26.
• Burglars broke into a vehicle on the 1100 block of Westmoreland between Aug. 3 and 4 and stole a gym bag valued at $40, clothes, iPod valued at $200, CDs, birth certificate, and contact lens solution.
• Burglars broke into a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country van in a strip mall at 800 N. Quentin Road between 9:30 and 11:18 a.m. Aug. 13 and stole a purse with keys, wallet, checkbook, and driver's license.
• Vandals set a portable toilet on fire in Birchwood Park, 425 W. Illinois Ave., between 11 and 11:21 p.m. Aug. 7.
• Israel Medina, 18, of the 0-100 block of East Jeffrey Avenue, Wheeling, was arrested around 12:50 a.m. Aug. 13 on the 0-100 block of Wheeling Road and charged with consumption of alcohol by a minor and resisting a peace officer. His court date is Oct. 2.
•Vandals kicked down a fence at Remark Paper Co., 50 W. Dundee Road, between 5 p.m. Aug. 10 and 7 a.m. Aug. 13. Damage was estimated at $500.
• Thieves stole a silver bicycle valued at $100 and locked in a rack at the Metra depot, 100 S. Northgate Parkway, between 4:30 p.m. Aug. 10 and 4:33 p.m. Aug. 13.
• Burglars stole a black laptop bag containing credit cards, debit cards, checkbook, driver's license, cash, and credit card receipts out of an unlocked 1996 Town & Country minivan at a townhouse on the 1600 block of Longbow Court between 10:30 p.m. Aug. 13 and 10:20 a.m. Aug. 14. Value was estimated at $1,000.
• Burglars broke into a 2002 Honda Odyssey van in a business lot at 1234 Peterson Drive between 11:30 p.m. Aug. 10 and 7 a.m. Aug. 11 and stole an in-dash DVD/CD player with screen. Loss was estimated at $500.
• Thieves broke the rear window and stole the window trim on a 2003 Range Rover at a home on the 700 block of Gregor Lane between noon Aug. 11 and noon Aug. 12. Loss was estimated at $1,000.