Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/15/2012 9:37 PM

No bail for Elgin man in Cadillac Ranch shooting

No bail for accused in nightclub shooting

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Reginald Myles

      Reginald Myles

 
 

A Cook County judge denied bail for a 24-year-old Elgin man charged in connection with a shooting last February outside a Bartlett nightclub.

Reginald Myles, of the 700 block of Grace Street, stood surrounded by nine Cook County sheriff's deputies during his appearance Wednesday before Cook County Judge Jill Cerone Marisie on charges of attempted first-degree murder.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The shooting followed an altercation between Myles and the 22-year-old victim that took place about 3 a.m. Feb. 12 inside the Cadillac Ranch, said Cook County Assistant State's Attorney David Weiner. The defendant left the nightspot, followed a short time later by the unarmed victim who asked Myles, "What's up now?" Weiner said.

The defendant fired the gun six times, hitting the victim in the back of the head, where the bullet remained lodged until doctors removed it last month, Weiner said. Four witnesses and the victim -- who has recovered -- identified the shooter as Myles, whose actions authorities say were also captured on the bar's video surveillance. He then fled the scene and evaded police in the days that followed, prompting a judge to issue a warrant for his arrest, Weiner said.

Police arrested him after a traffic stop Aug. 12, in Springfield, Mo., for an expired registration of a vehicle in which Myles was a passenger, Weiner said.

Myles, who had cut his hair and was going by "Mike," swung at an officer and ran away, Weiner said. Police found him hiding in a nearby bush and arrested him, Weiner said.

On probation for a Kane County aggravated battery at the time of the shooting, Myles was convicted in 2008 of misdemeanor battery and sentenced by a Kane County judge to 11 months' conditional discharge. In 2006, he received supervision for retail theft, Weiner said. He subsequently violated that supervision and was resentenced to eight months' conditional discharge.

If convicted of the charges, including personally discharging a firearm, Miles could face a life sentence.

He next appears in court on Sept. 5.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.