Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/6/2012 7:42 AM

Resident: 7 killed in southern Guinea

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

CONAKRY, Guinea -- A resident of a village in southern Guinea says that security forces opened fire with live ammunition, killing at least five residents in Zogota after a mining protest this weekend. He says villagers later riposted, killing two soldiers.

Resident Dounamou Tokpa said Monday that a military unit penetrated the village overnight Friday into Saturday. He says they killed the village chief and four other villagers, and angry residents then killed two of the soldiers.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Another resident Martin Kolie said that the trouble started last week, when youths attacked and vandalized the offices of a gold mining company after being told that the company planned to recruit new workers in Conakry, located around 540 miles away. Residents say the jobs should go to them.

Officials were not immediately available for comment.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here