A fire destroyed a two-story home on the 2000 block of Chesterfield Lane in Aurora.
Discarded smoking materials ignited some dry brush near the house at about 3 p.m. Thursday, said Deputy Chief John Lehman of the Aurora Fire Department.
Contact information ( * required )
The blaze started the grass on fire, then the deck, then the house, he said.
"The fire was well involved by the time we arrived on the scene," he said.
Three people home at the time of the blaze were evacuated without injuries, Lehman said. No firefighters were injured while fighting the fire.
He said the blaze caused in excess of $200,000 in damages, and that the home has been deemed uninhabitable.
"Smokers definitely want to watch how they are discarding their smoking materials during the recent dry conditions," he said. "Conditions are extremely dry and it doesn't take much to start a fire."