Insecticide in a leaking, unmarked container was to blame for a hazardous materials response at a Barrington-area home that left one firefighter hospitalized Thursday morning.
The pesticide later was identified as Malathion, commonly used to control mosquitoes and other types of insects, Barrington Fire Chief Jim Arie said.
“Fortunately, the firefighter took in just a minor dose and was released from the hospital,” Arie said.
There’s nothing unusual about finding the insecticide in a house, he added. The only difficulty came from identifying it in its unmarked container.
The firefighter treated at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital was part of the Barrington Fire Department’s first response to the 7:02 a.m. call about a mysterious gas odor in a home on the 25300 block of West Cuba Road, in unincorporated Lake County.
Firefighters found a box emitting the gas-like odor and removed it from the home’s garage. After one firefighter developed medical symptoms requiring transport, the Lake & McHenry County Hazardous Materials Response Team was called to the scene.
The hazmat team identified the leaking substance and took charge of disposing of it in a proper and safe manner, Arie said.Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.