Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/13/2012 10:25 PM

Elgin approves funding for Northwest Fourth-Fest

Cross-town festival may expand in 2013

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

Elgin City Council members approved contributing $15,000 cash and $7,000 in personnel costs for the joint Fourth of July celebration with Hoffman Estates, Hanover Park and Hanover Township on Wednesday.

The council indicated its support for the Northwest Fourth-Fest partnership in March and approved the funding at its latest meeting. The cash contribution will go toward "the largest fireworks display in the northwest suburban area," according to a memo to council members.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Elgin must also provide four police officers July 4, fire department paramedic services throughout the event, and supervision for restitution workers on July 3, 5 and 8. The city must also provide six local performers.

Councilman John Prigge was the only council member to oppose the $22,000 expenditure, saying it doesn't make sense for Elgin to pay for an event happening outside of town that residents can attend with or without the city's contribution.

Prigge approved the $15,000 payment in March but said Elgin personnel should stay in Elgin, especially on a night where the police force sees higher calls for fireworks complaints.

"I don't want to see our guys leave," Prigge said. "We've already identified problems here in the city of Elgin when it comes to that night."

Other council members indicated support for the intergovernmental cooperation. Mayor David Kaptain said this year was a trial run with potential for more involvement next year. In response to Prigge's criticism that Elgin would not share in any revenues from the carnival or food vendors, Kaptain said there is space to change things for next year.

"If we want to make it into a bigger event, we can negotiate with Hoffman Estates," Kaptain said. "We became a partner in March in an event they had already started to plan."

Hoffman Estates estimates spending about $100,000 during the four-day event. Hanover Township is contributing $5,000, and Hanover Park is adding another $10,000; both municipalities are responsible for various personnel.

If all four governments are interested, planning for the 2013 festival will start right away through a more formal committee.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.