The Des Plaines Park District has set its 2012 Live at the Lake summer entertainment series for children and families, featuring seven music and dance shows. Audience participation is applauded and families are encouraged to come out early for Art in the Park and to picnic and play in the park.
All performances take place in the Lake Park Memorial Pavilion, 2200 Lee St., north of Touhy Avenue. For up-to-the-minute weather information, call the hotline after 6 p.m. the day of the performance, (847) 391-5705. For information, call (847) 391-5700 or visit desplainesparks.org.
Contact information ( * required )
• June 27, Barefoot Hawaiians, 7-7:45 p.m.: Professional, authentic Polynesian-style performing troupe of dancers and drummers. Kids are invited to make a free craft project before the concert with Art in the Park.
• June 28, Des Plaines Park District Community Concert Band, 7-8 p.m.: A musical evening of classics, movie scores and popular hits.
• July 11, Jeanie B!, 7-7:45 p.m.: Rockin' music for kids and families. Kids are invited to make a free craft project before the concert with Art in the Park.
• July 12, AC-Rock, 7-8:30 p.m. Chicago's premier a cappella quartet sings rock 'n roll from the 1950s-'80s.
• July 18, Artistry in Motion Dance Company, 7-8 p.m.: The Des Plaines Park District's award-winning dance company performs a mix of jazz, ballet, modern, hip-hop, and tap numbers. Kids are invited to make a free craft project before the concert with Art in the Park.
• July 25, Super Stolie (and the Rockstars), 7-7:45 p.m.: Original songs, nursery rhymes and pop songs keep kids jumping, singing, and clapping along. Kids are invited to make a free craft project during the concert with Art in the Park.
• July 28, Jin and Tonic Band, 7-8:30 p.m.: Chicagoland's favorite country band covers everyone from Taylor Swift to Alabama.