Unattended candles were to blame for a fire Sunday evening at a Carpentersville church, authorities said.
No one was hurt in the fire at the Celestial Church of Christ, 150 S. Kennedy Drive. The church is a storefront operation in the Meadowvale shopping center.
Carpentersville Fire Department crews were alerted to the blaze by an alarm shortly before 6 p.m., Battalion Chief Todd Middendorf said. Upon arrival, they forced their way into the building and discovered the fire inside.
No one was inside at the time. A service was held in the church Sunday, and the last occupant left about an hour before the alarm, Middendorf said.
The fire was under control in about 25 minutes. Damage was estimated at $10,000.Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.