Breaking News Bar
updated: 1/13/2012 1:57 PM

Cubs' Starlin Castro questioned by Chicago police, issues statement

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Starlin Castro

      Starlin Castro
    Associated Press

 
 

Chicago Cubs Shortstop Starlin Castro met with Chicago Police detectives Thursday night or Friday morning after an allegation of sexual assault was made against the 21-year-old player from the Dominican Republic, WBBM Newsradio 780 is reporting.

Castro was questioned by detectives at the Chicago Police Belmont Area Headquarters, WBBM is reporting, adding the player was still being interviewed Friday morning.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

However, a Chicago Police spokesman said at 9:15 a.m. Friday that Castro was not "currently" being interviewed.

He also would not comment on when Castro was questioned, but said Castro had not been charged with any crimes as of 9:15 a.m.

In a statement issued this afternoon Castro said: "I personally, and through my attorneys, have fully cooperated with the police in this matter. Unfortunately I cannot address the matter further at this time while the investigation is taking place. I understand that being a member of the Cubs means being a hard worker on the field and a good citizen off the field, and I always want to carry myself in a way that exceeds high expectations."

Castro is still expected to to attend the Cubs Convention when it opens at 3 p.m. today at the Chicago Hilton and Towers downtown, WBBM is reporting.

Castro flew in from the Dominican Republic on Wednesday, returning to Chicago for the first time since late September when the sexual assault is alleged to have occurred, WBBM is reporting.

A woman in her 20s claimed she was drinking with friends at a River North nightclub on the night of Sept. 29 when she met Castro, according to a heavily redacted police report obtained earlier this week from the Chicago Police Department.

The unidentified woman told police she and a friend left the bar with the shortstop and went to the Castro's State Street apartment. There, she told police, she passed out, woke up, and found Castro on top of her.

Detectives wanted to interview Castro when the woman came forward after the alleged attack. Castro, though was already on a plane headed home for the offseason.

Castro's attorneys and officials from the Chicago Cubs said last week that they were hopeful Castro would be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here