Sixteen School District 62 personnel and one former board of education member were among 198 award recipients recognized for their outstanding service to education at the 37th annual Those Who Excel/Teacher of the Year banquet. Outstanding teachers, administrators, student support personnel, educational service personnel and community members from across the state took the stage Saturday, Oct. 22, where the Illinois State Board of Education honored them.
The nomination process began in January, when District 62 candidates were nominated by their colleagues for District 62 Lighthouse Awards. Those Who Excel nominees were selected by members of the District 62 community advisory board to represent the district in the Those Who Excel Awards program. Nominations included a brief biography of the nominee, his or her philosophy of education, professional development and community involvement and their opinions of the state's most pressing educational needs. Letters of recommendation were also required.
A committee of peers chooses the award winners. The committee represents statewide education organizations and includes former award winners.
The following District 62 staff members were honored:
• Classroom teacher, Elizabeth (Libby) Juskiewicz, South Elementary School, Award of Recognition
• School administrator, Carol Gibbs, North Elementary School, Award of Meritorious Service
• Student support personnel, Jean Wilson, Cumberland Elementary School, Award of Recognition
• Educational service personnel, Nancy Jenkins, Leon Smaage Administration Center, Award of Recognition
• School board member and/or community volunteer, Raymond Imig, former board of education member, Award of Recognition
• Early Career Educator, Jodi Hockensmith, Iroquois Community School, Award of Recognition
2012 Lighthouse/Those Who Excel Awards nomination packets will be distributed in January to all District 62 staff.
• Send Your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.