BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Investigators say a resident had removed the smoke detector from the apartment where an Indiana University student died in an apartment building fire near the Bloomington campus.
A city Fire Department report released Wednesday says the tenant told investigators he had taken down the smoke detector the night before the Oct. 1 fire because it had been going off and was annoying him.
The Herald-Times reports (http://bit.ly/ni9p01 ) that investigators determined the fire was accidental and started near a ceiling light in the apartment below where 19-year-old Renee Ohrn of Gary was staying for the night and died from smoke inhalation.
Investigators reported finding smoke detectors in all other apartments in the building.
The fire destroyed 12 apartment units and displaced more than 20 students.Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.