Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/30/2011 10:14 PM

Buffalo Grove passes up Wheaton North

Success - Article sent! close
By Mike Garofola
Daily Herald Correspondent

Buffalo Grove went 2 goals ahead in the opening half-hour and went on to take control against Wheaton North on Tuesday afternoon in a third-round match of the 20th annual Lancer Classic played at neutral site Conant in Hoffman Estates.

The Bison, 2-0-2 overall and 2-0-1 in pool play thus far, went ahead for good at 20 minutes when Johnnie Vivacqua finished a helper from Allan Santiaguillo and Markus Fiordaliso. BG doubled its lead nine minutes later with pinpoint diagonal passing which led to Starsky Correa needing just an easy touch from in close after teammates Luis Marquez and Irving Eloyza stretched the Falcons (1-1-1).

"After having some trouble finishing in the past few matches, we finally put some of those balls away when the opportunity to do so presented itself to us," said BG coach Rick Carlson.

"We've been working hard ever since the team came together," said Eloyza, "and there's a lot of talk about us being the team to beat in our division. But we haven't proved anything yet, and all that talk really doesn't mean anything unless we back it up with good results.

"There's a lot of soccer left in this season, but if we can play like we did today, as a team, we should have a chance to have a very good year."

The Bison were faster to the ball than a North club which is young -- especially so on this day, as the Falcons were shorthanded with various bumps and bruises which limited the bench. Especially after the break, the Falcons had trouble with the constant pressure they had to absorb from Eloyza and his mates. That played a part in coach in Bryce Canns' team conceding 3 goals after 40 minutes.

"(Buffalo Grove) did some things today which allowed them to take advantage in that first half, and although it was obvious that they are a very talented team, all it showed was that we learned a few things about what we need to work on," said Cann. "We are in just our third match of the season, and for now, we need to get ourselves healthy, and continue to work, and we'll be fine."

Demo Drakoulis made it 3-0 at 34 minutes with a superb header just over the outstretched glove of keeper A.J. Biebergall. Despite the 5 goals, Biebergall performed well, particularly in the air on several corners and long balls played into the box, and just after intermission when he took a one-timer from in close off the foot of Alberto Eloyza.

Marquez increased the BG led to 4 goals after a lovely 1-2 combination which allowed the senior drive home a rebound from in close.

The Falcons played hard despite the deficit, with Julian Robinson and Isic Nermin providing an offensive spark which almost led to a goal for North when the two created a free kick just off the outside the box and to the near post side.

Robert Jaimes nearly found the upper right corner with a blistering strike just over the bar.

An unfortunate bounce fell to Irving Eloyza who didn't waste any time to bury a shot at 54 minutes.

"We've had 7-8 different players score thus far this season, and we're slowing beginning to play some very good soccer as we continue to get to know each other," said Carlson.

Nick Landsberger and Eddie Haro, who came on after the hour mark, shared in the shutout for the Bison.