Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/30/2011 5:21 PM

Bond cut for Elgin sex abuse suspect

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A 48-year-old Elgin man who is accused of sexually assaulting a girl he knew will have to pay less to get out of jail while awaiting trial.

Jesse C. Martinez, of the 500 block of North Spring Street, had been held on $250,000 bail since his arrest Aug. 18 on charges of criminal sexual assault and criminal sexual abuse.

The most serious charge carries a top prison term of 15 years, but probation also is an option.

Kane County Judge Allen Anderson agreed to reduced Martinez's bond to 10 percent of $20,000. Martinez will be required to wear a GPS anklet while free on bond, and is subject to random drug and alcohol tests and must have no contact with the girl and stay away from her home and workplace.

Defense attorney Daniel Brown said Martinez would live with relatives in Bolingbrook and that a bond reduction was needed so he could work as a trucker while awaiting trial.

Brown noted that Martinez is a U.S. Citizen with no previous criminal record.

Assistant State's Attorney Alice Tracy argued that Martinez had several "unsettling events" with the girl even before the assault, which is said to have taken place on Aug. 14.

"We believe the defendant would be a potential danger to the public and (the victim)," Tracy said.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Martinez remained in the Kane County jail. He is due next in court on Oct. 6.

Share this page