Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/10/2011 8:17 PM

Oily rags spark garage fire in Batavia

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A Batavia garage caught fire early Sunday evening when a trash bag full of rags used on wood sealant spontaneously combusted, according to fire officials.

Firefighters responded to a call at 5:50 p.m. Sunday on the 200 block of Jefferson Street and were able to put out the minor fire within seven to 10 minutes, Batavia Fire Department Lt. Scott Hogan said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The fire started in the corner of the two-story detached garage, burned up a wall and spread to the garage door before firefighters brought it under control, Hogan said.

The official cause of the fire was improper disposal of rags used for cleaning wood sealer, which were packed into a garbage bag as temperatures were about 90 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

Hogan said the rags spontaneously combusted without any external spark, but he added it was not uncommon.

He said there were tools and other garage-related items lost in the fire, which caused an estimated $10,000 in damage.

No one was injured in the fire, Hogan said.

Share this page