• Abel P. Zavala, 53, of the 0-99 block of Devonshire Circle in Elgin, appeared in bond court Wednesday on charges of financial exploitation of an elderly person and home repair fraud, according to court documents. A Carpentersville woman contracted Zavala to put in a concrete driveway for the cost of $7,500. She paid $4,000, he tore up the old driveway and then failed inspection, according to Carpentersville police. Zavala never finished the job and had already spent the $4,000 on other work, police said. Bail was set at $30,000 for the felony charges, of which Zavala must pay 10 percent to be released before his next court date, scheduled for July 11 in St. Charles.
• A South Elgin taxi driver reported an attempted robbery at about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 600 block of Margaret Place in Elgin, police reports said. After giving two men a ride, one of them told the driver to give him all his money or the other man would shoot him, reports said. The driver said he didn't see a gun and took his phone out to call police when the men tried to take it away but, unsuccessful, they ran away without taking anything and without paying the $35 fare, reports said.
• An envelope containing $950 was stolen from a purse in an employee locker between 2 and 10 p.m. Wednesday at Hydrox Laboratories, 825 Tollgate Road, Elgin, police reports said. Credit cards, loose cash, identification cards and other miscellaneous items were left untouched, according to reports.
• Roman K. McCay, 21, of the 500 block of Harrison Street in Elgin, was arrested and later charged with possession of 1.4 grams of marijuana; and Ricky Cuitino, 18, of the 800 block of Hastings Street in Elgin, was arrested and later charged with obstructing a police officer after both young men were approached by an officer just before 1 a.m. Thursday outside of Cuitino's house, according to police reports. Both are due in court at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 9 in Rolling Meadows.
• An Elgin woman reported the theft of a $75 check Wednesday after she failed to receive the money in the mail from her insurance company, according to police reports. The insurance company said the check was cashed on June 29, reports said.
• Two rings were stolen at an unknown time July 2 from a home in the 2300 block of Coral Cove, Elgin, according to police reports. The rings had a combined value of $1,500, reports said.
• The windshield of a 2005 Ford Explorer was shattered at about 6 p.m. July 6 in the Metra parking lot at 109 W. Chicago St., Elgin, according to police reports. A number of golf balls were present in the parking lot and one was found on the truck's hood, reports said.