Was your pet born to be a star?
Well, there's a way to show off your four-legged friend and raise money for charity. Gilberts photographer Pat Dorgan is putting together a 2012 calendar called "Irresistible" that will highlight local pets.
Proceeds from calendar sales and photo sessions with Dorgan will benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Dundee Township and animal rescue groups. The following businesses are holding sessions for the photo shoots:
• Four Legs Pets in Gilberts Sunday, May 1;
• Doggie Styles Pet Grooming in Huntley May 15;
• A Brush with Greatness in Crystal Lake May 22;
• Biscuits and Bows in Palatine June 5.
For details or to reserve your $25 session, call Dorgan at (847) 783-0644. To check out her work, visit dorganphoto.com.
Eat for Alzheimer's: Want to take a morning off breakfast prep and raise money for a good cause?
The Carpentersville Fire Department, Carpentersville Professional Firefighters Local 4790, and other local clubs will hold an Eat for Alzheimer's pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 30, at the Dundee Township Park District Senior Center, 665 Barrington Ave., Carpentersville.
Diners can load up their plates with pancakes, sausage and fruit for $5 per person. Juice and coffee are included. All proceeds will go to the Alzheimer's Association.
For details, call (847) 428-7131.
Huntley takes pride in preservation: Just in time for National Preservation Month, which starts in May, Huntley's Historic Preservation Commission has announced nine winners for its third annual Pride in Preservation Award.
The honor recognizes property owners who do their part to maintain the village's historic charm. The following places will receive preservation signs to display:
• The Huntley Dairy Mart, 10706 Route 47
• The Alejandro residence, 11300 Dean St.
• The Pena residence, 11704 Third St.
• The Stroupe residence, 11903 Woodstock St.
• The Wohlhart residence, 11513 Main St.
• The Pump property, 11620 Second St.
• The Rocks residence, 11614 Second St.
• The Bowser residence, 11604 Second St.
• The Manning residence, 11909 West Main St.
Clarification: There were a couple of people who emailed me last week saying they couldn't find Dessertful Bakery that just opened in West Dundee, which was mentioned in last week's column.
I found out for myself how confusing it was to get there when I tried to visit last week.
Anyway, the bakery's address is 1961 Huntley Road, but it's just off Tartans Drive. If you're going west on Huntley Road, make a left on Tartans Drive and then turn left into the mall's parking lot. You will see the bakery on your right.
Hope this helps!
• Lenore Adkins covers Huntley, Carpentersville, the Dundees and Hampshire. To reach her, call (847) 608-2725 or email email@example.com.