Illinois Republican Sen. Mark Kirk called the process "overly dramatic," and Republican U.S. Rep. Judy Biggert of Naperville said the federal budget cuts made Friday night should have been made last year.
"I'm pleased that an agreement has been reached, and delighted that President Obama and (Senate Democratic) Leader Harry Reid are finally extolling the virtues of spending cuts," Biggert said in a statement. "We've finally changed the national dialogue from 'how much to spend' to 'how much to cut.'"
"For too long, Americans were forced to hold their breath -- waiting to see if their lives and financial security would be disrupted because a few leaders in Washington couldn't accept a government that spends within its means," Biggert's statement continued. "These are cuts that could and should have been on the table last year, when the former leadership of the House and Senate failed to pass a budget on time, even though they controlled big majorities, and created the situation we face today. Our troops, seniors, civil servants, and other Americans who rely on a functioning government deserve better."
Although Kirk said the details have not been revealed, he said he supports the agreement to cut federal spending.
Calling the process "overly dramatic," Kirk said with the agreement, Congress will return to its normal rhythm, and will begin dealing with next year's budget.
Biggert added: "And now that we're nearly finished with last year's business, we can focus on the real task at hand -- cutting trillions, not billions."