A fire at a printed circuit board manufacturing business in Elk Grove Village Friday afternoon may have been caused by an oven unit that overheated and caught PVC piping on fire, officials said.
Employees evacuated Chicago Circuit Corp., 2685 United Lane, around 2:10 p.m. when a gas-fired oven connected to an exhaust filter system with PVC piping malfunctioned. That likely caused the piping to fail and ignite parts of the roof, said Battalion Chief William Sellers of the Elk Grove Village Fire Department.
Contact information ( * required )
No injuries were reported.
The fire was contained to duct work inside the building and on the roof, and left about $50,000 worth of damage, Sellers said.
Fire crews were on scene for two hours. Investigators will continue to probe an exact cause of the blaze, he said.