Breaking News Bar
posted: 4/2/2010 12:01 AM

Upscale designer resale shop opens in Libertyville

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Barb Kurczodyna, left, and Laura Flores, are co-owners of Full DisClothesure, an upscale women's resale boutique in Libertyville.

      Barb Kurczodyna, left, and Laura Flores, are co-owners of Full DisClothesure, an upscale women's resale boutique in Libertyville.
    Bob Chwedyk | Staff Photographer

 
 

A pair of longtime friends who have a passion for fashion recently opened an upscale resale boutique in downtown Libertyville.

Full DisClothesure, at 330 N. Milwaukee Ave., carries new and "gently used" clothing, shoes, purses and accessories.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Owners Laura Flores of Lake Bluff and Barb Kurczodyna of Lake Forest say 80 percent of the shop is new merchandise that they obtain through consignment from North Shore boutiques. Consignors provide the other 20 percent of the store's inventory.

The owners say they offer "current, trendy, whimsical name brand and designer fashions for a fraction of the retail price." Lines from Prada, Gucci, Burberry, Eileen Fisher and White House Black Market are included in the mix.

Merchandise at the shop is about a third of what it would cost in regular retail stores, the owners say. T-shirts range from $14 to $16. A two-piece cashmere sweater set that retails for about $300 sold for $78 earlier this week, Kurczodyna said.

"Shoppers will find great deals. They will find treasures," Flores said.

The entrepreneurs, who worked together in the retail industry in the past, have been friends for more than a decade.

Flores has worked in a variety of retail positions, including as a sales representative for Ralph Lauren at Lord & Taylor.

She was born and raised in Mexico and ran a retail business there for 17 years where she bought office furniture from the Mexican government and then resold the pieces. Flores immigrated here in 1991 and is now raising a 21-year-old son and 17-year-old daughter in Lake Bluff.

Kurczodyna has also worked in a variety of retail jobs. She and her husband, Joseph, have a 24-year-old daughter.

The women say the downturn in the economy lends itself to this type of business.

Many consignors have been bringing in clothing that they purchased and have never worn. "Some items still have the original tags on them," Flores said.

"Everything here is current and trendy. There's no vintage or antique things," she added.

The shop is holding a grand opening celebration from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, April 15. The store is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. For more, call (224) 513-5171.

Kim Mikus covers small business. She welcomes comments at kmikus@dailyherald.com.

Share this page