• Oscar Jesus Portillo-Torres, 21, of the 900 block of Spring Avenue, was charged Feb. 24 with retail theft, according to a police report. Store security at Walmart, 150 Smith Road, observed Portillo-Torres take a package of Sony earbuds from a display shelf, remove the earbuds from the packaging, plug them into his iPhone and exit the store without paying for them.
Contact information ( * required )
• Craig William Kamman, 53, of the 1400 block of 35th Street in Downers Grove, was arrested Tuesday on charges of retail theft, according to a police report. Store security at Target, 3885 E. Main St., observed Kamman attempt to steal a book, a computer printer cartridge and ream of paper with a total value of about $72. Store security had additional evidence of previous thefts Kamman had made at the store. Kamman is the Target store field representative for the Nabisco company. The total amount of the previous thefts had about a $225 value. Kamman confessed to police that he'd stolen from the store about four other times.
• Jaime Christopher Romero, 37, of the 600 block of Christopher Lane in Carol Stream, was charged Feb. 25 with obstructing a peace officer and having an outstanding warrant for his arrest, according to a police report. Police were contacted by an anonymous patron of a tavern on the 100 block of Walnut Avenue and told Romero was in the bar and had outstanding warrants. Police arrived at the scene and observed Romero attempting to leave the tavern. Romero took off running when police called out to him. Romero was then advised to stop running or the police would Taser him. Romero continued to run. Police Tasered him. Romero fell to the ground, striking his head on the pavement. Romero then struggled against police as they attempted to put him in handcuffs. Police found Romero had outstanding warrants for DUI and contempt of court.
• Jeffrey M. Martens, 19, of the 1100 block of Westfield Course, Geneva, was arrested at 9:54 p.m. Tuesday and charged with illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor, according to a police report. Sheriff's police say a relative of his called to report Martens had been drinking at a house on Thoria Lane in Batavia Township. Police eventually found him sleeping in the basement of his girlfriend's home in the 0N200 block of Sully Square in Geneva Township. When asked how much he had to drink, Martens replied, "Not enough," deputies reported. Martens is on probation for a 2008 battery conviction, was convicted in 2009 of illegal consumption of alcohol, and is on trial for another 2009 consumption-of-alcohol charge.
• Jacqueline E. Deland, 30, of 1900 Diamond Head Trail in Pingree Grove, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, illegal transportation of open liquor, and improper lane use, after a one-car crash at 3:07 p.m. Sunday at Route 47 and Ramm Road, according to a police report. She was treated at Provena St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin for a bump on her head. Deputies believe her Nissan Maxima left the road 100 yards north of Ramm, hit a snowbank, flew, hit a culvert, and flew again. They reported finding an open, partially consumed bottle of wine in the car.
• Two people were charged with battery at 4:34 p.m. Tuesday after police were called to their home in the 1100 block of Lorlyn Circle, according to a police report. Viridiana Palacias-Garnica, 24, was charged with assault, aggravated assault, battery and criminal damage to property. Pedro Garnica, 26, was charged with battery.
• A truck toolbox, and the tools it contained, was reported stolen at 4:20 p.m. Monday out of a truck in the 1400 block of Georgetown Drive, police said.
• Two bottles of Crown Royal whiskey were stolen at 4:20 p.m. Feb. 21 from Dominick's, 2000 S. Randall Road, police said.
• Gina A. Garity, 18, of the 600 block of Campbell Street, received a city ticket for retail theft, at 2:40 p.m. Tuesday at Dominick's, 2000 S. Randall Road, according to a police report. She is accused of taking three packages of celery with peanut butter, a frozen TV dinner, pore-cleansing strips, hair serum, deodorant and three magazines.
• Laura A. Murowski, 69, of the 100 block of East Lynn Street, South Elgin, was given a city ticket for retail theft at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Dominick's, 2000 S. Randall Road, according to a police report. She is accused of taking toothpaste, a 20-count package of cold pills, two containers of juice, cheddar cheese, mascara and eyedrops.